Tuesday, May 31, 2011

2.5 pounds of water: May 31, 2011

I know two weeks haven't yet gone by, however I wanted to report about yesterday before it drifted to the dark recesses of my mind.  Yesterday morning when I wrote, I was in a lot of overall body pain, could barely move my fingers or the rest of my body for that matter.  I was extremely swollen and uncomfortable. I felt like I weighed 1000 pounds with zero strength along with the searing burning pain.  Despite the pain and sluggishness I told Richard I still wanted to go on our 4 mile walk down the hill, into town, around the lake and back, because it seemed like a good idea to try to keep moving.  I also ate no wheat or refined sugar, and stayed within the guidelines of the DASH diet, just under 1600 calories, and no extra salt.   We did our walk in the early afternoon, and stopped along the way to have spring rolls at the Vietnamese place, and then after the lake loop stopped for a spinach salad at our favorite New Mexican restaurant downtown.  Then it was time to trudge up the hill.  By this time I was already feeling better, lighter, less fluid-filled.  I joked last night that I bet I was carrying at least 4 extra pounds of water, so I got on the scale this morning and, sure enough, I am down 2.5 pounds from yesterday.  The deep searing pain is gone, except for my usual arthritic places, and my strength is back to some degree.  I am slightly puffy this morning, so a bit more water retention, but I can at least move my fingers and open jars.


I am taking that as a confirmation that wheat and refined sugar needed to be removed.  I love bread so much, it is really hard to think that wheat may be gone for good.  But, I would definitely rather go without than live in the bloated, extremely painful condition I've been in for the last few days (that has been gradually worsening since I reintroduced wheat in March.)

Richard's working today, so I may get on the elliptical for 60 minutes, although it is finally gorgeous outside, so maybe it will be a hilly brisk walk. 


Today's a new day, and I am enthused about feeling great, and better and better each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment