Monday, March 21, 2011

A Successful Week

Check-in:  Weight: 202.8lb
Lost this week:  3.2lb -this is the most poundage lost in a week since I started in January and I think I finally figured out why it has taken so long.
Lost total this year: 8.4lb (lost since August: 17.2lb)

Two things were different this week.  One, I was still recovering from a bug I caught a couple weeks ago, and my appetite was very limited, so my portion sizes were kind of naturally limited.  If I ate anywhere near to too much (which was about half of what I'd normally eat), then I felt nauseous and my esophagus burned.  If I got too hungry, I would also feel nauseated.  That feeling has mostly subsided, however I decided that since my body was used to eating at this lower intake that I would go with it for the week and see what happened.  I didn't record anything into My Food Diary, just based my amount of healthy foods eaten by how my body felt.  Also, I made sure that I was on the elliptical each weekday for the full 45 minutes, plus I had several days where I had an additional number of miles walked since my son, Peter, was home from college and we walked into town a few times.

I have been reading more about the DASH diet used for reducing hypertension since we learned about it in my pharmacy school's Non-Prescription Therapeutics class.  I know that my tendency is toward high blood pressure, and I know that my maternal grandmother suffered greatly with trying to manage her blood pressure, and the end of her life was full of cardiovascular issues including multiple bypass surgery, amputation of one of her legs, etc.  As I understand it comes to me from both sides of the family and I definitely do not want to go that route if I can help it, and know that at some times in my life I have registered a blood pressure in the pre-hypertension level.   My blood pressure is pretty good right now, however I know I have a tendency to retain water and sodium causes discomfort.  

What I've decided to do is follow the DASH diet at the 1600 calorie/day level, still enter (as there's time) the things I eat in My Food Diary for comparison of the two plans, and, increase my elliptical workouts to 60 minutes per day.  I read last night in a DASH diet book, that 60 minutes is probably necessary to lose weight if the rest of one's life is mainly sedentary, which mine is, thanks to school.   I know I have a bit of a block to 60 minutes, it seems like SO much more time spent, however I will do some EFT to help clear the block with the hope that it will be at least somewhat enjoyable.

I'm super-psyched because once I lose 3 more pounds, I will be under 200 lb, which hasn't happened for a very long time.

This week will provide an extra challenge in that we are going out of town for four days, however I think if I use my smarts and common sense and have Richard back me up when it comes to making good food decisions, I will only be successful.  We aren't renting a car, and Seattle's considered a walking town, so I'm certain I will also get plenty of exercise.  I'm taking my pedometer to track and be able to report to the walking mile group I check into each week.

To Ever-Increasing Health and Life!

2 comments:

  1. I may have said this before, but I must say it again. You ROCK! You are a constant inspiration to me. Keep it up! (BLam)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, "BLam". :-) You are mighty cool yourself! Thanks for the support! 60 minutes on the machine this morning wasn't so bad after all. I had to block out the thoughts of "I should be doing my PK homework, I need to be studying for pharmacology...", but seriously, it's only 15 more minutes than usual, so likely it's more like 15 fewer minutes wandering around the house aimlessly putting off the inevitable. :)

    ReplyDelete