Friday, August 5, 2011

Belly Fat

Awhile ago my husband told me about a show he watched where Wayne Dyer was talking about an eating plan where you could eat only 20 g of sugar each day, along with other nutritional foods like protein, vegetables, and complex carbs, with the result of quickly losing extra belly fat.  I have kept this in the back of my mind since he told me about it, always thinking that 20 grams of sugar is not very much, and it must be pretty hard to stick to something like that.

As it turns out, it is The Belly Fat Cure, which allows only 15 grams of sugar, including the natural sugars in fruits and vegetables, so doesn't allow much extra anything in terms of sweets, unless one uses products with my favorite sweetener, Stevia.  I am aware that most of the world is already aware of this eating plan before I am  (even with Richard's knowledge of it) due to my lack of interest in commercial television and ads of any kind.  Suddenly I am aware of all aspects of the Belly Fat Cure because it seems like a reasonable path on which to experiment since one of my recent decisions is to cut any extra and hidden sugars from my diet.  I ordered three of his books that describe the eating plan, and so far, have been very impressed with Jorge Cruise's presentation of the data, and his ability to make it sound "simple".  In his book, The Belly Fat Cure: Discover the New Carb Swap System, I have enjoyed his visuals for foods and items that are good for your belly (those that help reduce belly fat) "Belly Good", and those that increase belly fat, therefore "Belly Bad".  Examples below: 
Our beloved Zevia soda is on the Belly Good side, all other sodas on the Belly Bad
Belly Good items include most of the items we have already switched over to, including gluten-free bread items
Belly Bad: all added sugars and artificial, man-made sweeteners; Belly Good: Stevia products
Healthier chip and snack items on the Belly Good side, and traditional, even Baked Lay's! on the Belly Bad side


 One of the books I bought is Jorge Cruise's 8 Minute a Day exercises specific to reduce belly fat.  Since this is the key area where I store extra fat, this plan seems to make sense.  I will continue my aerobic and cardiovascular workouts, but will add these toning exercises in. I can accommodate my wheat-free status with this plan, and my desire to decrease saturated fats (even though he doesn't emphasize this in his plan), and really become aware of the hidden sugars in everything I eat.  Our plan is to begin full force Monday and give the plan a whirl, the One Week Challenge, and meanwhile through the weekend, continue to observe and investigate the sugar content of the foods we eat normally, and decide how we are going to modify them further.  I am excited that there are more and more stevia-based products on the market from which to choose, and that this plan looks doable.  I will check in Monday morning with the stats (the main measurement for this is the waist circumference, but I will also be tracking my weight), and more of our plan.  We have prepared by doing our grocery shopping for next week to have on hand the food and items we will need to be successful.  Two of my boys will be home from college this weekend, and we want to remain flexible, food-wise while they are around.

It is pretty exciting to think that stevia is getting this amazing promotion.  This is one of the most exciting aspects of this discovery for me.

1 comment:

  1. Great. except Wayne Dyer said he went to this because it looked like he had a bowling ball under his shirt, and you do not. It is also interesting since I am vegetarian, and you are gluten-free already. We have odd diets!

    ReplyDelete