Monday, August 1, 2011

Monday Morning Check-In (Knee Braces and a New-ish Plan)

As I contemplate my next plan of action, I went ahead and weighed in this morning, and was 204.4 lb, and 45% body fat. This is about where I thought I was.  Still about 15 lb less than this time last summer, so this is better than the same, or even 15 lb more.  No reason to feel frustrated with how little it seems, even though that's an easy route for me to take.  Today (well, likely Friday since we are going out of town with friends for a couple days and I need enjoying and planning time) is a new day for a new plan and a great starting point.  I'll get back to the plan shortly.

I was measured later in the day for my new lateral unloader knee braces for both knees.  I am very excited about these since they are designed to separate the area of each of my knees so the bones do not rub on each other (where cartilage is missing and severe arthritis has taken its place) as I walk.  There's a dial I can adjust on each brace that modifies the distance the my bones are separated to accommodate for steepness of stairs and hikes.  So, potentially better workouts on my hikes, etc.  I'm ready to give them a try, as I am very frustrated with pain in my body with simple movements that restrict much of my activity for years and years, decades even.

My main question to the brace fitter was about losing weight (feeling optimistic!) and the braces still fitting, and she did say that I will likely need to replace them after each 20 pounds of weight lost since they are made specifically for my legs and knees and current weight.  She said that Kaiser would be likely to cover the 80% of the cost of a replacement set as long as they have documentation of my weight loss.  Some of that seems ironic to me as one of the recommendations from the orthopedist is to lose weight, along with trying the braces, and trying the hyaluronic gel injections, but it's possible they wouldn't cover the 80% if weight is lost and it's not documented?  Anyhow, I'm not concerned about the documentation as I seem to be at Kaiser pretty frequently now.  20% of the brace charge seems like a small price to pay every 20 pounds for the benefits of the braces and added benefit of weighing less and putting less weight on the joints.  I will obtain these little miracle workers in a couple of weeks.

 Meanwhile, in light of my goal or experiment with helping heal the underlying (and hopefully overlying) issues of uterine fibroids (story is here: An Experiment in Healing), and the success of my eliminating wheat and wheat products in late May, I am going to further modify my diet to eliminate sugar and most dairy.  This seems the simplest route to take as I need to keep it simple with pharmacy classes beginning in a few weeks. I will still eat fruits, especially those packed with nutrients like blueberries and strawberries, but anything that has added sugar of any kind will not be included.  Similar with the dairy products, pretty much the only dairy I'll be eating is the non-fat unsweetened yogurt I already consume.  Eliminating wheat has been challenging, but doable.  It is VERY difficult to control what wheat I consume when dining out, and I know the same is true for sugars (and salt!). So, one obvious solution is to eat out less often, as fun as it is, plus that will help relieve the "budget" to buy quality organic foods so that what I do put in my body is of the best quality I can find. By eliminating these three items, I pretty much eliminate whatever processed foods were left in my diet (there weren't many left), so this is extremely helpful for the immune system and preventing those kinds of toxins from getting in.  That one is in my control, vs. other environmental toxins that are less in my control.  A recent workshop presenter suggested diet-wise:  if it doesn't have a mother or come from the ground, don't eat it.... For some reason I feel highly motivated and excited about this, mainly, I think because I'm ready to feel good and better and better now that I have some answers about what has been causing my pain and things I can do about it. 

And it's not that I have a horrible diet, in fact, compared to he majority of Americans it's way on the healthy side of the continuum of healthy diets, however there are still foods that I consume that have deleterious effects on my health, so that's the part I'm looking at, and am hoping/planning to continue to lose weight. And perhaps there's a way to still have those foods that are so appealing, but on a limited basis, and to check in with their specific effects on my body.  The wheat elimination was significant to the point that I have successfully avoided it almost for the sole reason to not feel deep burning pain in my joints and discomfort all over my body from the swelling and inflammation. 

My ramble comes to a close.  I will be checking in more frequently than I have this summer, so as to keep myself going and going.  Life is short!  The time to feel good is NOW!

1 comment:

  1. Yay for you, losing all that weight. Don't whiter away to nothing!!!!

    ReplyDelete