Sunday, August 14, 2011

Day 7, Most Importantly: LAST DAY of the One Week Challenge...

...also known as "Sugar Awareness Week".  

We are already stoked for shifting our eating plan tomorrow to include more natural sugars and carbs, especially Richard who dearly needs them.  My oldest son (a PhD student/candidate in neuroscience at Harvard) reminded me today, too, that the brain can only use glucose for energy, and if it's not there, that could cause a problem.   He thought it was crazy to count the sugars in vegetables, that cinched it for me.  With full time pharmacy school starting in three days, glucose is back in. 

We have a plan, that yes, involves counting total sugar grams (maximum 20 grams), but we are not going to count the sugar or carbs from vegetables (or psyllium!!!)  We are going to return to our healthy carb regimen we were on before, and with more awareness of how much we are eating.  I am going to be more aware of my serving sizes with the carbs, limiting to some extent, as I am still working to reduce poundage, and Richard will be free to eat what he feels is right for him.  We can breathe a sigh of relief.  Ahhhhhhhhh.


I developed a check list for each of us, because our dietary goals are different from each other, as are our diets (with my eating (grass-fed, hormone-free and lean) red meat, in fact now prescribed by the acupuncturist/nutritionist and Richard's (pesca)vegetarianism).  We can each check off 20 grams of sugar each day, up to 60 grams of fat for me, and 85 grams of fat for Richard, and AT LEAST 80 grams of protein for me, and 100 grams of protein for Richard.  


We ARE going to continue with the morning toning exercises for abdominal, upper body and lower body Monday through Friday, because we think that's a good thing to add in, and seems reasonable to put into our morning routine.  And we plan to continue walking (and I will do my elliptical), and meditation, and living peacefully.

Today's menu looked like this:
Breakfast:  Mediterranean Omelet (as in previous posts), no carbs
Snack: 
Lunch:  Roasted chili pepper bake (with egg beaters and mozzarella), I had a piece of gluten-free toast with olive oil
Snack:  Matcha green tea frapuccino (protein powder with stevia, matcha green tea, unsweetened Almond Breeze) and strawberries with nonfat plain yogurt with stevia.
Dinner:  Me: hormone free steak; Him:  Fish?  tofu?  and something to fulfill our remaining carb serving(s) of the week, some arugula salad with shaved Parmesan and homemade dressing (red wine vinegar, olive oil, garlic) .  It looks like we will be splitting the remaining Almond Butter Cup (unless I make some more tonight - this was another good thing to come out of this experiment!)

Tomorrow is the official weigh-in for the One-week Challenge, and I'm sure I've lost weight; we will see about the inches.

No comments:

Post a Comment