Saturday, January 22, 2011

1-22-2011 A Strange Week

First of all:
Weighed in at 207.4, so, essentially lost what I'd gained last week, and back to a total loss of 3.8 lb this year.  It's in the right direction.  However, it is likely not due to any extravagant actions I took toward this goal, except, perhaps, all of the exercise in the previous couple of weeks. 

We did start with doing 21 repetitions of the Five Tibetans early in the week, so hooray!  Plus I did manage to get on the elliptical one morning for 45 minutes.  After that, I was ill for three days, very nauseous and dizzy, achey and gross (Richard was too, he often brings home illness from the school where he teaches.)  So, I took it easy, focused on healing, and not worrying much about tracking my food, or doing yoga.  

Today I feel physically better and we are hoping to go on a walk midday today.  The weather has been a challenge, lately, especially with the severe winds and cold, cold temperatures.  *Sigh*, it's winter, and not my favorite time of year, but I will keep on persevering and getting the exercise I need to to be healthy and energetic.

It was a strange week in other ways, as well.  I have a set of cousins who live in one of the towns in Brazil that was hard hit by the mudslides and flooding last week.  Click here for more on the Brazilian devastation.  They are physically all right, and now have the items they need for further survival.  It was also the anniversary of the passing of my cousin, Jennifer Lyon, which, I can only imagine, is still very sad and painful for my aunt and uncle and many others who were close to her.  I am always struck by how she chose to live her short life. I am sure that the last few years were very uncomfortable for her, but she persevered in living it fully, pretty much to the end.  More on Jenni Lyon - Click here.  Then there was the discussion I had with a close family member regarding her contemplation on going ahead with a prophylactic double mastectomy and oophorectomy.  I feel sad that she has this decision to make or not make, and I realize that it could have easily been me making that decision.  I don't think I've fully realized the implications of not having the deleterious BRCA2 gene mutation.  That's an entirely different blog. I support her fully whichever way she decides.  There is also a lot of drama with our class in Pharmacy school, and I pretty much stick to choosing to put my energy into energizing, creative things, such as getting my work done, and quilting and taking care of myself.  More on this in my pharmacy blog:  Pharmacy School Blog - click here

I guess in light of all of this, maybe my own health goals seemed a bit less significant than other people's realities.  I don't really feel guilty for focusing on myself, I feel I can still be available for others in their times of need of love and support.  Perhaps I am grateful that my life is relatively simple at this point (if full-time Pharmacy school can count as part of a "simplified" life) and it has taken over 40 years to get here.  The stresses of single parenthood have all but vanished, as have the financial worries of home-ownership and single living in a house I couldn't afford.  I own FAR less "stuff" than I did just a couple years ago, thus I am far less burdened by "things" of the past.  In fact, I realize, that the better I take care of myself, the more I have to offer others as needed.  Now is the time to take excellent care of me, so that I can be of optimal enthusiastic service.

So, with renewed vigor and hope, I continue with the goals laid out last week: increased water, 21 Tibetans (which we seem to do only on the weekdays), keep walking and elliptical-ing, etc., and keeping better track of my food intake.  Next week is my measurement week, so I'm anticipating positive results in inches lost as well.

Blessings for another awesome and healthier week!
Thanks for reading and supporting!

No comments:

Post a Comment