Saturday, January 1, 2011

1/1/11 New Beginnings

January 1, 2011

New Beginnings

My Thoughts: The good news is that I weigh 9 pounds less than I did at the beginning of August, so have a little "head start" on myself.  The "other" news is that there is still a ways to go.  I feel so very optimistic and excited about this endeavor, and oddly feel a bit detached from all of the numbers.  Amusingly, on the way home from taking my son to the airport, I smiled to myself that 211.2 is a palindrome of sorts, a number, and the only meaning it has for me is what I give it.  It's also interesting that today is the first day of 2011, so one could look at the numbers in that way, as well.  I plan to fully enjoy every single one of those 211.2 pounds today, gracefully thanking them for being there, protecting me, serving me, and bless each and everyone one of them, even those that will soon no longer be part of my body, whether physical, mental or emotional.  What getting on the scale triggers is this long list of weights I remember being throughout my life, from the time I remember having a weight (and before!).  Here's a rundown:

  • Birthweight: 9 lb, 2 oz.

  • Age 8: 80 lb

  • Age 11: 130 lb (I was also a very tall kid during these years)

  • Age 13: 150 lb (this was when I first went to Weight Watchers, I think I got to 135 or something.  Notice how I remember the high weight, and not the low one.)

  • Age 17, High School Graduation: 180 lb

  • Age 18:  lost many pounds to fit into Bridesmaid dress for friend's wedding when I found out the size 18 that was ordered was really a size 14.

  • Age 20:  married at 180 lb

  • Age 20:  Maximum pregnant weight with oldest son, 205 lb. 

  • Age 21:  lost many post-baby pounds by eating only 600 calories each day, riding my bicycle 20 miles each day and walking approximately 5 miles each.  This was probably my least balanced approach.

  • Age 22:  Maximum pregnant weight with middle son, 180 lb, gained 25 pounds total. This was by far my healthiest pregnancy.  I was active, was careful of what I ate, ate enough to create a good healthy baby at 9 lb, 5 oz.  I gained LOTS of weight after I had him, during those nursing months, and was experiencing pretty powerful post-partum depression.

  • Age 25:  Maximum pregnant weight with youngest son, 235 lb, gained 40 pounds.  This was a pregnancy wrought with dilemma and worry and taking care of two young boys.  We were concerned about my husband at the time's job, a potential move, and it was the middle of summer in Louisiana.  I'd never been so physically uncomfortable with all of the swelling and immobility.  Plus almost 10 lb of it was baby!

  • Age 26/27:  Went from 187 lb to 142 lb, through Weight Watchers and a lot of aspartame.

    Since that time I've had various people weigh me, and just not tell me the numbers, just how much lost or gained.  That, for me, obviously, did not work.  These are the main weights I remember.  And, now I'm 43 years old and hope and plan to address my weight in a balanced, open, honest manner.

Data:
Weekly Measurements:
Weight:  211.2 lb
Fat: 46.5% 
Body Mass Index (BMI) 

From NutritionData.com (another favorite, especially for analyzing recipes):

You are a 43 year old woman, 5ft 7in / 170cm tall, with a current weight of 211.2 lbs. You lead a somewhat active lifestyle.

Your BMI
33.1
BMI is a standardized ratio of weight to height, and is often used as a general indicator of health. The "normal" BMI for an adult woman of your height is 18.5 to 24.9. This translates to a healthy weight range of 118 to 159 lbs.However, BMI does not take body composition into account. A weight above this range could still be considered healthy if your percentage body fat is less than average. For more accurate determination of body fat levels, consider using a body fat caliper. 

In light of this, I am not setting a specific weight goal at this time, to see what feels right as I approach the "ideal" range.


Monthly Measurements:
Waist:  44 in.
Hips:  46 in.
Chest: 47 in.
Thigh: 24.5 in.
Calf: 16.5 in.
Biceps/Upper Arm:  12.5 in.

Goals Met Today:

Five Tibetans:  15 Repetitions - we've been working up to this over the past few days. We started at 9 reps for a couple of days, then 12 reps the last couple of days, still aiming for the ideal 21 repetitions.

Alternate Nostril Breathing: yes, approximately 7 inhalations/exhalations

Exercise: Two mile walk into and out of Evergreen to get some Vietnamese lunch (in 12 degrees F, in the snow, with major hills)

Meditation:  Chakra Clearing, IAMU University


These are the statements I used to clear with the tapping method through EFT:
In the EFT process, I am gauging how much a statement or memory has an effect on me, on a scale from 0 to 10.  I feel so good about this endeavor that it was a little challenging to get much of a response.  However, as I re-read the "weight list", I could feel some agitation and regret.  
"Even though I have weighed the weights listed above..."
"Even though I have been hard on myself in the past..."
"Even though I have failed to keep weight off in the past..."
"Even though I have taken weight off in unhealthy ways..."
"Even though I feel agitated about these/this weight, I deeply and completely love and accept myself..."
"the skinny times, the fat times..."
Current Weight:  "Even though I weigh 211.2 lb, I deeply and completely love and accept myself..."

My Food Diary Report:
Breakfast:
1 serving of Blue Corn Meal pancakes, with tsp of pure maple syrup
1 pear
1 c. Matcha green tea, no sweetener
1 serving sugar-free Pumpkin Latte for driveto airport
Calcium and magnesium supplements, 1 glass of JointJuice

Lunch at the Vietnamese restaurant we walked into town to:
1 spring roll with shrimp
1 TBS peanut sauce
Hot and Sour Soup w/ tofu and rice noodles - I could barely eat a third of what was served.

Dinner Plan: Beau Jo's pizza - Beau Jo's is awesome because they have the menu online with all of the nutrition data available so I can pre-plan exactly what I want to have and how much of it.

So, my plan is to have a salad to increase my vegetables, and 2 slices of a medium pizza that consists of whole wheat crust, their traditional pizza sauce, artichoke hearts, basil, and feta cheese, and to drink water with my meal, mainly enjoying not only the food I've chosen for myself, but also the delightful company of my husband and boys who are soon to be going back to the colleges they attend. 


The green is "good", that I stayed within my desired limits, and the pink or RED is "bad", that I received a frowny face for that category.  White is neutral.  It does seem that when I reduce my saturated fat and sugar, that the underlying culprit is too much salt.  I'm ok with this today, since it is probably at least partially due to going out to eat for two meals in a day, and go forward with awareness for future meals.  Everything else appears to be right on:


It appears to be a successful day, with great energy and intention for even better days yet to come.  A whole big long endless stream of them.  I'm sure there's much more to write about, and I know I will get to all of it as I continue this blog.

Thank you for joining me on this journey, and allowing me to share my insights and techniques along the way.  Thank you, too, for sharing your thoughts and insights as you are inspired.

Many Blessings in this Grand New Year!

4 comments:

  1. Way to go, my honey! Off to a good start! Better than a New Year's day of lying around and eating bon-bons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I realized that I needed to "tap out" the fact that I publicly posted my weight and related data subjecting myself to whatever judgment and ridicule might be out there. It was pretty strong on the indicator scale, and I feel good now. If nothing else, it will provide fodder for unearthing more beliefs more quickly. :-) Peacefulness!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really good plan. I am impressed by your optimism and loving attitude. You are a great person! I am impressed by the balance of your plan. Have you ever visited realage.com? I really like this website because it has a weight loss tracker. In addition, it has a meal planner with the feature of being able to print a shopping list. I also like the meal plans because they include "normal" foods that are easy to incorporate like peanut butter and whole wheat toast that is easy to grab on the go without much preparation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi LaDonna, Thanks for your very kind comment and information. I will check into the realage.com site and see how it compares to My Food Diary. It sounds like a useful program.

    ReplyDelete